Skip to main content

ED Support Group

In the past, I've tried to 'recover', but have always taken one step forwards and three steps back. However one thing that I have kept going to is an adults eating disorder recovery support group. The group runs once a month and is done so by two facilitators who set the direction of the conversation. There are ground rules at the group that are put in place in order not to trigger anybody. For example: no talk of calories or weight.

I remember the night before going for the first time that I went, I was so nervous and really didn't want to go, but deep down inside, I knew I had to. All I could imagine was that scene from 'The Fault in Our Stars' when they're on the support group and they sit literally in the heart of Jesus, sing cheesy songs and quote messages of support in unison that really had no true meaning. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I walked into the room.

First of all, I was offered a cup of tea. Tea is the way to my heart, so I already felt a bit more relaxed before the session had even started. When I looked around the small room of people, I quickly realised that I had nothing to worry about-all of these people were on their own individual journeys with a variety of different ED's. Nothing I could say or express would shock them, and there would definitely be no judgement.

I decided that for the first session I would just observe how the group works, rather than actively join in myself. I didn't even take my coat off that first session because although I felt comfortable, I still wasn't completely at ease, and my anxiety levels were still quite high. I was still the new person in the group and I didn't really want to draw attention to myself if I could help it. Everyone else in the group respected that and I wasn't forced to talk at all, which was really nice because I realised that is really was a support group, not another treatment program as such. There was no pressure.

Last night, I attended my third session of this group. I recognised within 10 minutes of the session how far I'd come through the help of this small group of people. For the first time, I was able to talk about how I felt in confidence, knowing that the only response I would get would be positive and would help me move forward. I was also able to help someone else in this particular session by reflecting on my own experiences, and that felt really really good. There is one gentleman at the group who's been there every week that I have been there, and he doesn't know it, but he's helped my confidence so much, by reminding me that I can do whatever I put my mind to, and by giving me really helpful tips on how to manage my ED at uni and home.

All in all I can say nothing but positive things about this recovery support group. Yes, I still get nervous before going in, not knowing if I'll come out skipping or with tear stained cheeks, but I know that whatever I talk about in that session, is just another thing off my chest, and one less thing to worry about!

Now when I go to this group, I feel as though I'm taking 2 steps forward each time, so if I od have to take a step back, that's okay because I have still made progress.


A cute little recovery pic to remind me to just keep swimming.


Have a pretty day, love one another and stay positive.

Daisy May xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys