Skip to main content

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.  

Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling someone 'twiggy' or 'anorexic' should also be seen as one?
 

The main trigger for this post is because of something that happened to me today. It was around 22 degrees (which for the UK is a heatwave...) so I decided that I really was not comfortable walking around in jeans, and so put on a pair of floaty shorts. I felt extremely uncomfortable when I first walked out of my flat with bare legs but very quickly got over it, as it made the heat more bearable. Later on, I was waiting for a bus to take me back to uni, and a group of four young people (they looked around 19-20?) walked passed me and made some comments about my size. "Wow, she looks unhealthy"... "haha, maybe she's never heard of chocolate?"...."...or anything that isn't vegetables for that matter?".  I have never felt so conscious of myself in my life. Immediately, I regretted wearing the shorts and started questioning why I ever thought it would be okay for me to wear them in the first place. If there hadn't have been four of them there I probably would have said something but I felt so small and belittled by their comments that I just let them pass. 



What I'm trying to get at, is that 'Skinny Shaming' is just as hurtful as 'Fat Shaming' and neither should be taken any less seriously than the other. Some people have medical reasons for being underweight/overweight other than eating disorders!! 

Sorry for the rant.

Just Keep Swimming, 

Daisy May xo

Comments

  1. People are idiots gal, you're beautiful regardless of any body size, don't let anyone make you think different xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree. I'm skinny and I love all body sizes. I couldn't care less. Unless you judge me, then we going to have a problem....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I judge nobody! Hope you had a lovely Christmas Anon! :)

      Delete
  3. I'm 11 and already very self conscious about my body. I have been made fun of many times being called a twig, pencil, skin and bones, or being told that theres a thing called eating. I also once had a rumor spread about me that I was anorexic and was starving myself and it didnt calm down after about 4 months. It makes me sad that people don't realize skinny shaming is just as bad as fat shaming.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys