Skip to main content

Adult Decisions


So post-ED assessment,  they re-diagnosed me with Anorexia Nervosa. Part of me was really hoping that they'd tell me that Ana is all in my head (ironic because it is) and that actually I was okay and didn't need to panic myself. But, it is what it is...

After coming to terms with the re-affirmed diagnosis, I had a bit of a rough week and sunk into this deep depression, and it was scary. I've never really had 'suicidal' thoughts before, but I guess there is a first time for everything. Due to my mental state, it got to a point where I had to leave halls for a night- I wasn't coping and felt alone even though I had people around me.

I went to stay at my grandmothers' so that I could think things through. While I was there she opened up to me about her past and it turns out that she was treated for severe depression and an ED while she was 7months pregnant with my uncle. I had no idea until then, but they used to treat mental illnesses with something called an ECT, which is basically electric shocks to the brain. I haven't researched it myself, but a friend of mine did and told me that although it was abolished, it has been brought back in. Personally, I think this is crazy?! It's sooooo dangerous.

While at my grandmothers, I talked to my dad on the phone about what to do in regards to uni and my mental health. Long story short, after lots of tears and arguments (with myself!) I made the decision to suspend from university for a year so that I can focus on recovery. This will enable me to come back this time next year, with hopefully a much better state of mind.

Of course, with suspending my course comes all sorts of financial, emotional and health related issues. One of the main things that I have been super worried about it transferring my treatment up to my home town, so I decided to get the ball rolling on this so that it was one less thing to worry about. I contacted the NHS mental health team in my area and explained my situation to them; but what they replied with shocked me, although it shouldn't have. They cannot offer me treatment for my ED in my home county because THERE ISN'T ENOUGH FUNDING. The only way they could treat me is if I had a BMI of below 13 or a BMI of 15, that was dropping dramatically. I fit into neither or these categories.  One thing I really hate about the treatment of ED's is that they are still assessed so heavily on a person's BMI. Someone can have a healthy BMI and still be suffering from Anorexic thoughts? And what about those people similar to me, who have a BMI below 18 but not below 15? Do we just have to wait until we're really sick in order to get treatment? It infuriates me.

So now what? I've sent an email to the next county across explaining my situation in the hope that they'll be able to do my treatment there. If this doesn't work, I'm going to have to look privately which is a complete and utter ball ache. Thankfully, although my parents can 100% not afford to pay for private health care, they are being very supportive and are quite open to the idea.

That is all folks, an update from moi!


Daisy May xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys