Skip to main content

6 Things I wish people knew about Anorexia

1. You don't have to be severely underweight to be suffering:
Untrue to popular belief, you really do not have to be severely and noticeably underweight to have a diagnosis of Anorexia. The media has made it seem that you cannot be Anorexic without looking underweight/ill, and this is just not true. In fact, you can actually be overweight and anorexic.  On top of this, Anorexia is a MENTAL disorder. Weight loss is just one of many symptoms.

2. The services in the UK are crap unless your health is at serious risk
The eating disorder service in the UK is horrendous. Although N.I.C.E guidelines CLEARLY state that weight should not be a determining factor for getting treatment, health professionals, more often than not use weight/BMI as the indicator as to whether or not someone should get treatment. This, however, is not entirely their fault. Due to government cuts, it is just not financially possible to get treatment for Anorexia on the NHS. This is leading to people (such as me), seeking help privately (which by the way is very expensive). Why are we not supporting people in the early stages of their eating disorder? Surely it's cheaper to support/treat someone during the early stages than it is to treat someone when their body is failing. It just really doesn't make any sense to me, especially as Anorexia has a higher mortality rate than any other mental health disorder.



3. Eating disorders are competitive, so please don't show me pictures of your friends who have suffered from anorexia. 
To be straight, it can be triggering. Unfortunately, Anorexia changes your perception on things, so although I understand that you are trying to help, it's really difficult to see pictures of other people who have suffered. Anorexia doesn't allow you to see yourself as others see you, and when viewing pictures of other warriors of Anorexia, you often see them as a lot smaller than yourself. This can make you feel totally inadequate and as though you're not worthy of a diagnosis of Anorexia. This very often leads to you wanting to lose more weight, which of course is very dangerous.

4. I don't want people to feel guilty when they eat in front of me if I'm not eating
I am not judging you. I love the fact that you can sit and eat, it makes me so happy! This is what deep down, I want for myself. That is all.


5. Anorexia is SO lonely
It doesn't matter how many people you have around you, supporting you, Anorexia is a lonely condition. There are some things that you just cannot express to anybody because you simply don't know how to, as some things are just so unexplainable. Most of the time this is due to not actually understanding yourself. On top of this, there are often comments about how being Anorexic is attention seeking, so obviously, why would you want to share your deepest and darkest fears? 

6. I am more than my eating disorder 
Hi, my name's Daisy. I'm 19 years old. (I have anorexia).  I love the theatre, it's great, why wouldn't you love it?! I really want to travel one day and explore the world. I have the most gorgeous family and a beautiful set of friends. I am training to be a children's nurse and want to one day work on an oncology ward, maybe abroad, who knows?!  Ask me about this stuff, I have some cool experiences and goals in life. Don't dwell on my diagnosis. I am not my diagnosis. 

Be Happy, shoot for the stars,

Daisy May xo



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys