Skip to main content

365 days since my last post...what's new?

It's literally been an entire year since I last posted on this blog. I guess over the past year, I haven't felt that I have needed to use it in this part of my recovery, and you know what, that's okay!
I thought I would try and give the quickest overview of what the past year of being in recovery has been like, and where I am now.

January-March 2018: So on January 7th, I jetted off to Cape Town, all by myself to begin what would be the start of my real recovery. I was picked up from Cape Town International Airport on the 8th of Jan by the gentleman who helped me find treatment there. I was absolutely exhausted from travelling and was terrified but also excited for the journey I was about to go on! I don't want to say too much about the treatment centre in this post, but let me tell you this, it was a GOD SEND. Everyone there was really lovely, both the other 'inpatients' and the staff. The staff especially were great and the program that they used really worked for me, as it used tough love, and that's what I needed. I learnt a lot about myself and the eating disorder that is anorexia. I learnt coping mechanisms, I found my emotions, I learnt that the issue has never been and will never be the food, but most importantly I started to re-discover the old Daisy, the Daisy who loved life. I am in no way 'cured' by this treatment, but it 100% kick started my recovery and has helped this past year be one of the most FREE years I've had in a long time!  I want to do another post more about my treatment at another time, hence the little detail here.

April: During April, all I did was literally just relax at home with my parents and friends. I had to return to uni in June, so spent a lot of time with my family, and packing to move back down to the other side of the country. I followed my meal plan and made sure I was putting my recovery first! Oooh, during this month, I also got a car!

May- I was back down south in May. I spent time with those who had supported me throughout uni in my first year and throughout my treatment and the start of my recovery! While in treatment I stopped drinking alcohol, which meant the times I spent with my friends during May were all really authentic and real! I was able to go to a end of year performing arts ball without feeling horrible about being surrounded by food! I was weirdly relaxed, and felt confident in myself!


June- Early August: I was on placement in a hospital in these three months. I loved it! I was also able to use my voice to advocate for young people who came in with eating disorders. I did struggle a little bit with food and making sure I had enough breaks, but if I'm truly honest, I expected this. This is the same for most student nurses. 

Stanley (L), Archie (R)
Peggy
August- Early September: This is what is counted as a nurses summer break, 3 weeks off uni!! I had fun at home, and was able to make positive memories with a lot of people :) I lost one of my dogs, Archie though :( But gained a beautiful new addition to the family Peggy!


September-Early Nov:
YAY another placement! This time I was working in the community. This placement was quite a struggle for me. I had this same placement in my first year of uni, and it really triggered a lot of things for me. You could easily get away with not taking a break on this placement, and there was constantly talk of diet and weight loss on this placement too. I don't think I coped very well with this placement, even with strategies in place. Because I was struggling slightly again, I decided to make a GP appointment and get myself referred to some counselling. However I was told that I was too complicated for general counselling and was referred back to the ED service. Terrifying. I was told there that I was no longer 'anorexic' as such because my weight was healthy again and I wasn't continuously acting out on my ED thoughts, however I was given a diagnosis of 'Anorexia Nervosa- In partial remission', and put on a waiting list for treatment. (STILL WAITING NOW)

November-December: I turned 21!! I also got to go home for 2.5 weeks which was lovely! Things have been hard though. I have been attending as many recovery groups as possible, and have been telling some people how I have been feeling. But there are a lot of things I haven't been doing: I've not been mindful when eating, I haven't been having my 3 meals + 3 snacks a day, and I have been obsessing over really insignificant things. I do think I may be in a relapse, but I am trying to combat it. It is just hard when I have no professional support I guess. Although things are tricky at the moment, I cannot stress enough that this year has been a complete WIN for my mental health, and I am so proud of myself for getting my needs met!! Here's to 2019- the year I continue to grow and rediscover myself, and the year where I continue to get help when I feel I need it. 




Dais xo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys