Skip to main content

1 YEAR SOBER

Cannot believe this day has finally come, but today, I have officially been in recovery for a WHOLE YEAR! It's crazy to think this this time last year, I was on a plane on my way to Cape Town for treatment of an eating disorder that had taken over my life since the age of 15.

A year ago, I was super depressed (despite not wanting to admit it, and not letting  it show); underweight; all I thought about 24/7 was food- I was terrified of everything I consumed; exercise had become an addiction, and I was doing it excessively to punish myself; my self confidence was at an all time low, and I was experiencing such self doubt that I was scared to share MY opinions on things, and hid behind everyone else's; I was so manipulative, I hid things from those closest to me, and I started to believe my own lies and on top of all of that, I hated myself. All I knew was that I wanted things to change, but that I needed help, and couldn't do it alone...

A year on, thing's still aren't perfect, but they sure are a hell of a lot better than before! I'm still on and off medication for low mood and anxiety, but it's no longer classed as depression, and I've learnt to manage it! I'm learning and re-training my brain to not mask my feelings, and to share them too. Sometimes this comes across as oversharing, but it's a balance I'm working on, so for now, that's okay. Food is not the first thing on my mind so much, and if it is on my mind, it's either recovery focused or because I'm looking forward to it! (Recovery focused meaning that I'm regretting forgetting a snack, or that I'm planning my meals). I have a much healthier relationship with exercise now too. I am allowed a gym membership, and go when I want to, because I want to! However, no more than 2 times a week as I have set a boundary. I have also informed the gym that if I start going excessively, to cancel my membership! Self confidence is a lot better too! I have days where I LOVE myself, which makes a massive change. However, I do still have some weeks where I really struggle and it can still be debilitating. I don't feel as though I am manipulative anymore, and I feel that I am much more honest. I've been able to recognise what the lies were that I had told myself, and what the truth really is. Something I've realised about secrecy within eating disorders is that: If you're doing things in secret, than surely that's a sign that you probably shouldn't be doing them, and that it's probably detrimental to your recovery! (E.G. weighing in secret, eating in secret, exercising in secret, counting calories in secret!)

So on the most part things are really positive! I've been through quite a lot of 'lapses*' and 'slips*' as well, but from listening to other people in recovery, this is super normal, and I'm no longer ashamed of that ya know?  There is no such thing as a 'perfect recovery'. I still struggle, and the ED still creeps back in every now and again, but I am dealing with it so much better than I ever could have imagined. Recovery isn't a straight road, it is literally a rollercoaster, with so many up's and downs. There have been times where I have wanted to give up, and give into my ED, but I am SO glad that I have bounced back every time, back to healthy Daisy! :) A few months ago, I got in contact with my local ED team and asked for help again, I feel as though I just need a bit of supporting at the moment, as I'm feeling quite 'fragile' and I have found myself taking on others situations more than I would like to. These are warning signs of relapse for me, so I was proactive and gave the team a shout! Funnily enough, I had a phone call whilst in the middle of writing this post saying that I am at the top of the waiting list and that my therapy will start again in the next 2 weeks! I am OVERYJOYED!



Have a pretty day!

Dais xox

*lapses/Slips - a one time return to an addictive behaviour/ short time returning to addictive behaviour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys