Skip to main content

Allowing frustraion, worries, and overprotection

Friends in recovery are so important, and are really vital in helping you maintain your recovery, but sometimes it can get really suffocating, and difficult. 

I remember when I got back from inpatient treatment and joined a new university cohort I vowed to myself that I wouldn't tell my new friends about ED stuff, for the simple reason being, I didn't want to be 'that girl'. However realistically, it couldn't be this way because recovery isn't linear and undoubtedly I was going to struggle. I decided to make it a kind of public thing just to help me stay on track. This really hasn't been an issue at all, and has been really useful knowing that other people are in the know and are understanding.

BUT 

The further you get into recovery, the less you want it to be a thing. Obviously my recovery isn't perfect and I do sometimes struggle still, but 98% of the time I am able to manage and maintain my recovery without any real interventions. 

Recently my life has felt like a bit of a shit show, and food stuff slipped a little. Of course, my friends being fab and on the ball picked up on this pretty quickly and spoke with me about it. Generally my main meals haven't been an issue, it's more my snacking etc that I have been finding harder. But once mentioned, I started to sort this out slowly but surely. More of an issue has been mood stuff. but with that obviously has it's connections to hunger and food.

I'm being discharged, and I am so excited, so the most upsetting thing to hear from a friend is "I do not think you are ready to be discharged". SO frustrating. I know I have come so so far, and compared to first year of uni I am doing so amazingly. However I have to remember that my 'new friends' didn't see my at my worst, so anything less than doing great is probably a worry. I do get it. I also get it's because they care, and this is so lush. Get some friends who care about you haha.

I'm not complaining about friends worries and concerns, I just needed to voice my frustration with this part of recovery. I want / need the support, but not to the point where I'm being watched 24/7. I guess I'm just sad that I'm still in the position for people to have concerns. JUST WANT TO BE NORMAL AND BE RID OF ED'S.

Your friends love you, they support you, look out for them and thank them even if you don't want to.

Have a lush day,

Dais xo

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys