Skip to main content

Quick reflection on my 2 years!


Hello lovelies!

So today marks 2 years in recovery for me. 2 years since I decided that I no longer wanted to be controlled by my eating disorder and that I wanted to commit to the best of my ability to living a life that is full of self care, love and looking after my inner child.

Granted, this isn't always the case - as I like to remind people, recovery isn't linear so there is no possible way that over the past 2 years I would have been in 'recovery mindset' 24/7. That's unrealistic. Someone once said to me that it takes double the amount of time you suffered with an eating disorder to overcome it, so given that, I'm in such early recovery still, therefore i need to give myself some slack.

It's not all doom and gloom though! Yes I've had weeks, and sometimes a couple of months at a time when I've really struggled, but on the whole recovery has always been on my mind. No matter how bad things have got, I've continued to go to therapy when I need it and I continued to talk to my friends. Both of which, in my first year of recovery, I would have found quite hard. This year has by far been more tricky in regards to potentially triggering events, but easier in recovery. I've been able to bounce back from blips so much quicker, and that's such progress.

As I start to let go of my eating disorder a bit more, whether that's by finishing ED therapy, unfollowing recovery accounts on social media or putting down boundaries with myself, life feels a little smoother. A little more free. A little less stressful. I have more time to think about my inner child, and more time to get back to participating in activities that I love. For the first time this past year, i've thrown myself back into performing arts and have made it my mission to be in one last show before I finish university. These goals although not directly focused on improving my food related issues, are improving and keeping my recovery on track.

I've also found that this past year has been the year of finding my best friends. They've all supported me constantly in many different ways, and they're all honestly the most incredible people I have ever met. I am so so grateful. They've kept me on track when maybe I could have been tempted to give up, they've held me close when I've been struggling and celebrated my victories with me. I am literally so lucky. I'm so grateful for this past year, and I am so proud of myself for hitting my two years feeling reasonably positive about year 3 in recovery.

Over and out, Dais x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys