Skip to main content

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon


On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”.

As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous.
It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position.

There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I die, is that you should not have to earn your food! Food is an essential. Food keeps you alive. If you burn off everything you eat, you’ll die, and that it the cold hard facts.
I also really do not understand why the BBC deemed this an appropriate programme to air during a global pandemic. Statistics show that 1.5 million people in the UK have gone at least one day a week without food due to finances. My grandma is cooking for a food bank at the moment and they are really struggling – people who would normally be able to afford food, currently cannot. A lot of people need the food right now. Suggesting that we should be burning off all of our food is almost offensive to those who are in need right now.

Although I did not watch the show myself, from speaking to those who did, it portrayed an unrealistic and inaccurate representation of metabolism. Surely this is just asking for trouble. Why are disordered behaviours being encouraged?

Calorie counting is not safe, knowing the specific calories of everything you eat is not normal. It took me around 6 months to learn the calorie content of everything I ate, and despite not actively counting my calories now, it unfortunately is information that sticks in your mind for years. It’s not healthy to be constantly tortured by your own mind due to past disordered eating – so why is this program trying to make it out to be a good thing? You shouldn’t ever feel guilty about your food. Ever.

BEAT (the eating disorder charity in the UK) had to extend their helplines and online chats for an extra 3 hours after the program. Everyone who works for that charity volunteer. They are not paid for their work. The pandemic is already causing ED sufferers, and those in recovery more stress than normal, along with increased disordered behaviours, the ED voluntary services are at capacity. They did not need this.

Happier times with two girls who hate calorie counting
My heart goes out to everyone who watched that program and felt guilt over food. My heart aches for those who now feel like they have to burn off everything that they have eaten. Please know this is not the case. Food is fuel. Food keeps you alive and allows you to live life to the fullest.

Although I mentioned that BEAT are at their capacity- they are there to support you. So please make use of their services if you feel as though you are in need.

I honestly wasn’t going to write anything on this, but I am just so upset and angry by it, I needed to have an outlet, as I could not sleep. 

Stay safe, and please get in contact with myself, your family, friends, or a health care professional if you need someone to talk to right now. We all need to stick together right now and support one another. 

Lots of love,

Dais xo

Comments

  1. Well said love! My thoughts are with you (I’m a good friend of Joanne Tattersall) sending the warmest hugs. Joss

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys