Skip to main content

Eating Disorder Awareness Week 2020 - Getting help and supporting yourself

Disclaimer: I am writing this as someone who lives in the UK, so I cannot comment on treatment options in other countries.

Hello!


Todays post is focusing on getting help and treatment in the UK.
Again, this won't be an overly long post, however I just wanted to be able to signpost people the best that I can! If you want any more information, please look at BEAT's website :)

BEAT:

BEAT are a UK charity dedicated to helping those suffering with an eating disorder, and those around them too. They have a lot of amazing, disorder specific help and advice on their website


, that can really help you understand what you, or someone you know might be going through. They also run online support groups that are tailored to specific age groups, and struggles - these

groups got me through a relapse and are so incredible. BEAT also have a help-line(0808 801 0677), a student-line (0808 801 0811) , and a youth-line (0808 801 0711) - I have used all of these lines at some point in my recovery journey, and the people who you talk to have nothing but compassion and love! They are an incredible charity, and I would highly recommend them! This is their website: https://www.beateatingdisorders.org.uk/


Getting treatment, or realising you need treatment is a huge step in anyone's recovery journey. It means that you have got to the point that you no longer want your eating disorder to take over your life. Seeking treatment is a fantastic sign that actually you DO know your worth, and do know that you can get back to your old self!

First point of call for me personally was my GP. I was too scared to talk to my friends or my family about it, in case they thought I was attention seeking. My GP monitored me for a few months, before attempting to get me a referral to Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS). Unfortunately at the time I was on the threshold of adult and child mental health (MH) services, so my referral didn't come in time. However seeing your GP is a must!

I then chose to speak to my parents while I was waiting for proper help. To my surprise, they already knew that I was struggling, but weren't sure on how to approach the situation. Part of me wishes I had told them first, so that I had support when going to the GP,

Therapy - Therapy is something that scares a lot of people, but it really shouldn't. I was terrified before my first therapy session, and didn't really understand how to utilise the help I was getting. However, slowly, but surely I got the hang of it, and I saw my life and my coping mechanisms slowly start to adjust to more healthy coping mechanisms.

ED service - Not everyone will be lucky enough to access an ED service, however I have been extremely privileged that the ED service in my area takes on a lot of people in need of help. The people who work in the ED outpatient service are god-sends. They really understand what they are talking about, and cater your therapy to suit your needs. To get access to most ED services, you need to be referred by your GP.

Friends- Talk to your friends. They aren't professionals, and cannot necessarily 'cure' or 'treat' your ED, but they will be there to support you. Just try to remember boundaries. You want your friends as your friends, and not your therapists- for your sake, but mostly for theirs.

There are also a lot of things you can do to help yourself, ranging from good old self help books (generic I know, but there are some really good ones out there!) to mindfulness apps - such as headspace (this app SLAPS)! For more suggestions, please look at BEAT or NEDA's websites, because they are FULL of fantastic information.

I would also say that there is sometimes support in your local area - so if you use the BEAT helpfinder, on their website, it will show you where the local support is.

Be kind to one another,

Dais x






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys