Skip to main content

Eating Disorders Awareness Week 2020- An Interview with a male Eating Disorder Survivor

Hello! So today, I want to focus on something that isnt really looked at within the media – men with eating disorders. Despite eating disorders predominantly being associated with women, men certainly dont escape them.

I interviewed a friend of mine recently who has suffered with an eating disorder. He happily agreed to share his journey. I really hope that this can maybe bring comfort to someone. 

Ed - Looking Dashing



Hello! Do you mind introducing yourself and giving me one cool fact about yourself? 

Hi, I’m Ed and I’m a violinist - is that cool? I honestly don’t even know?



When did you first develop your eating disorder?

I think I probably started just before I turned 17 but I really didn’t realise what was going on until I’d developed some really unhealthy and self-destructive habits.



Do you feel there was a particular trigger for your eating disorder?

I can definitely pinpoint a couple of key moments during sixth form that acted as catalysts but I think I’d been struggling for a while before that. For years before that I’d had problems with my perceptions of myself but I don’t feel that it was properly triggered until sixth form.



Did anyone else pick up on your disordered eating behaviour?         

I liked to think that it was my little secret and that only I knew about, but my mum in particular picked up on my behavioural changes and spoke to me about it. However, I’m quite a stubborn person and so I think I just saw what she was saying as a personal attack. 



Did you have any treatment for your eating disorder?

I went to some counselling sessions but they really weren’t the right thing for me at the time. I struggled to discuss the situation that I was dealing with. I think I resented myself for admitting that I needed help, but now realise that it would probably have done me the world of good to continue talking to a professional.


What was the hardest part of your recovery journey?

Telling my family everything that was going on was pretty rough. Not that they weren’t incredibly supportive but I’d spent the best part of 18 months ‘dealing’ with it all on my own and so, as you can imagine, it was really quite hard for me.

Asides from that, Christmas dinner is always a fun one. I love the food, family, the celebration, the drinks and yet that little voice in your head never takes a day off.

What was the best support you received during your recovery period?

Probably just having a couple of really close friends who would listen to me without any judgment, but would also just be there to talk about nothing with. I’d go over to my friends house and just play music and chat absolute rubbish. That was great for me. It allowed me to feel normal.

I also listen to a lot of podcasts and there’s one in particular, The Elis James and John Robins podcast, that often discusses mental health  - ‘the darkness’ as they refer to it - in such a light yet sensitive way. I think hearing other people talking about their darkness really helped me to come to terms with what I was going through.


Unfortunately, the voice of an eating disorder is always there in the back of your head- how do you stay on top of it now?

That little voice is the bane of my life! It’s definitely a tough one to deal with and sometimes I do have to just put my headphones on and blare my music. I get quite frustrated when it rears up and so I like to try and do something productive - quite often I throw myself into my music or get into the kitchen and cook. It’s an odd one, but I absolutely love cooking and it really centres me to spend a couple of hours in the kitchen with some music or a podcast. 


Do you think that there are misconceptions about men with eating disorders?

Definitely! I think that my own misconceptions about eating disorders massively contributed to my downwards spiral. I didn’t really think that men were affected by eating disorders until I got one. I’ve heard people say ‘eating disorders are for girls’ or that blokes who struggle with mental health issues are ‘soft’ and that’s just not the case. Toxic masculinity gets thrown about an awful lot at the moment but I think that for me there was definitely an element of it that prevented me from actually admitting that anything was going on in the first place.



Thank you so much for talking with me today, Ed. Just one last thing, if you could give advice to people struggling with an eating disorder, what would you say?

It’s very easy for me to just say ‘talk to someone’, but it really can help. When I was at my lowest I gave the BEAT Student number a ring and that really made me realise that I wasn’t alone and that help was out there.

Alternatively, get into podcasts.


Thank you so much to Ed for taking time to talk to me about such a sensitive subject!

*On a separate note: Myself and Ed are talking on BBC Radio Solent on Friday about Eating Disorders at around 3pm - please take some time to listen if you're around!*

Please remember to reach out if you need help or support, especially this week while ED's are being talked about a lot.

Be kind, give hugs,

Dais x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Skinny Shaming

In today's society, body shaming is such a normal everyday thing, and this really frustrates me because people are just becoming immune to it. Admittedly, 'fat' shaming is more prevalent within society, but recently 'skinny' shaming has been on the rise.   Mostly, I come across 'skinny shaming' online. This is often done through people making comments on social media such as: 'Only dogs eat bones', calling people names such as 'twiggy', telling someone to 'eat a cheeseburger'. If this were the other way round, and people were making comments such as 'only dogs eat meat', or outright calling people fat, there would be absolute outrage from society! , However, for some reason, this is not the case when an individual skinny shames. A lot of people turn a blind eye to it and ignore that comments were ever made and this is SO wrong. Surely if calling someone 'fat' and is classed as a 'hate crime'. then calling so

Screw you BBC2, Up Yours Horizon

On the 20/04/2020, BBC2 aired a program called ‘Horizon’. ‘Horizon’ is a restaurant whereby, and I quote “every calorie eaten must be burned off”. As someone in recovery from Anorexia, I am of course biased in the fact that I think this is disgusting. However, I do feel I have a good reason to feel this way. I spent way too many days in hospital, at appointments and in inpatient settings to just let this go. This program is so so dangerous. It is very easy to say “Just don’t watch the program”, however if you have ever struggled with an eating disorder, you know it is not as easy as that. There is a little piece of your mind that wants to self-destruct, and sometimes it is completely out of your control. I am grateful to be in a position where I managed to distract myself during the evening with other things, but others won’t have been in that position. There are many reasons why this program is absolutely not okay, but the main reason that I will continue to preach until I

A 'quick' intro to me

Who am I? Hello! My name is Daisy, I'm currently 19 years old and studying children's nursing at university. (Hopefully I'll graduate in 2019!) I still feel about 12, but apparently I'm now legally an adult? What is this blog for?  This blog is to help me during my recovery from Anorexia Nervosa (Ana).  On top of this, it's a way for my friends and family to see how I'm doing. It was my drs idea to do a blog as they felt it's something that would help me. This blog will mostly be for my own personal benefit, however if people read it and enjoy it, that's a bonus.  My ED story I'll try not to go into too much detail because there is a lot.  I first personally noticed that I had 'issues' with my eating when I was 15 years old, during year 11. (GCSE year!) I had a tough time as my parents split up out of what seemed like nowhere, therefore completely turning my life upside down. When I noticed that I wasn't feeling phys